Whistle Home Etsy Store Contact Facebook About Whistle Custom Services Free Items Contact Blog facebook Pinterest

Followers

Monday, September 24, 2012

Bathroom Towel Hanger



I made this when we first bought our house and never was completely happy with it. It was one of those quick “Let’s get it up and move to the next project” things. Now with a little less things going on I just have to go back and update it. I made it buy first putting scrap pieces of wood that we had together and drawing a design on the top. I then carved out the image and weathered the wood using wood carving tools. This part was hard as I used scrap wood and some of the wood was very hard and difficult to carve into. The wood was free and on hand so it was worth the extra work. Then I gave it a light sand to smooth out any rough areas and using wood glue glued it all together. I first spray painted it with black spray paint then painted everything but the center image in blue.

 FAIL! I hated that coloring, so I added some white paint that we had and decided it would do. I hate it now and especially the fact that the white is glossy. It looks very keep and not rustic like my first idea was.


 

Redo Time! I started by sanding the entire thing and only leaving little parts of the paint behind. (During this process I broke my piece in half so it would be easier to sand.)


 

I then used a Jacobean stain to darken up the wood, applying it with a sponge and removing it with and old sock. After it had set for 6 to 8 hours I made sure that all the stain was off the wood with a Clorox wipe. The places where the paint was not sanding a lot didn't absorb the stain.


 



 

I don't have pictures of it on the wall yet as I need to put up the wainscoting first :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...