Whistle Home Etsy Store Contact Facebook About Whistle Custom Services Free Items Contact Blog facebook Pinterest

Followers

Friday, October 5, 2012

Kitchen Cabinet DIY Part 1



I hate my cabinets!!!! Yes HATE is a strong word and I mean it.
Nope!! My kitchen is not clean..... sigh... 


Since we moved in I have not liked my cabinets but you don't buy a house for the cabinets (or at least I don't). After doing extensive research and BEGGING my hubby I tried out a gel stain on our bathroom upstairs.


I fell in love and so did Hubby :) He was the one to say I should start on the kitchen right away, thank goodness.


It took me a week in total with dry time and I had a beautiful bathroom ... well bathroom cabinets. I still am not a fan of the rest of it. We don't use it yet so it is low of the list of things to do.

I am sanding away at the kitchen cabinets right now. It is taking a good amount of time because I work full time and my baby just want me to be with him once I get home. I maybe get 2 done during his evening nap time.


The worst part in the sanding process so far is scrubbing down my above stove cabinet doors. The grease film on them had to be scrubbed off with Dawn soap and then scraped off, and finally sanded away.

The shelves that were not preserved by grease took no time at all. I am using a 120 to sand just the top layer to help the gel to go on better.

I of course am cleaning the cabinets first to make sure that any dirt is off.

Once everything is sanded it will be time to tape off the base/frame and then get to staining.
More to come...........

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...